Week 48  This week we get the second parts for the main guns

The bits we received

And what we did with them

I've got a set of turned barrels which I think are an improvement on the kit supplied parts.  I'm not convinced that I'm going to fit the smaller ones.  They are very small indeed.  Anyway, I'll start with the biggest, and hence the easiest ones.

The first thing I need is a kit barrel assembled so I can use that the gauge the correct position of the turned ones.  

This is lightly glued to the base of the turret, and the top is put in place to make sure the barrel is correctly aligned.  Let the glue dry thoroughly.  

Now, I take the top off, and place the turret on a piece of paper with a pencil line drawn on it.  That's just to help align the barrels.  I placed a couple of spacers under the barrel to hold it at the correct height.

The turned barrel is fixed in place with a blob of Milliput epoxy putty.  This is a two part putty that you mix together.  It sets in a couple of hours, so you've plenty of working time.  It's worth just trying the top in place to make sure the putty isn't getting in the way.

I drew around the base, and drew lines on to mark the centre line of the barrel, and also the position of the tip and the ridge on the base. Then I broke away the plastic barrel.  

I taped the base to hold it securely, and then added the second barrel with more Milliput.

Once the putty is set, the barrels are held firmly.  Now it's easy to make up the other three turrets.  You can just tape down the base, and add the barrels, aligning them with the pencil lines, and supporting them on the supports.

The top can be glued on now.

I used a two stage process for the blast bags.  First, Milliput was applied and shaped to roughly the right shape of the blast bags.

Once that was dry, I used Green Stuff to finish the job.  Green Stuff is another epoxy putty available from Games workshop.  It leaves a nice smooth surface when you rub it down with a wet finger.

I mixed up a pea sized lump, then rolled it out to a thin sheet between two sheets of a plastic bag.  The bags the parts come in work quite well, although it does stick to some plastics more than others.  

The sheet was cut to about the right shape and wrapped round the Milliput already applied.  Then it was pushed, shoved, and generally coaxed into a thin even covering.  The wrinkles in the blast bags are quite easy to make.  I made a groove with a cocktail stick.  Then I pushed the Green Stuff down with a wet finger to make the groove look more like a crease in the canvas.  It took several goes to get it to look right, but you can always flatten it out and try again if it doesn't look right. It takes a couple of days to go hard (at least, mine does, but it is a few years old !)

With the blast bags done, I moved back to the photo etched parts supplied in 47.  I did the two platforms as per the instructions.  I think this was a bit of a mistake as the rear supports fitted a bit later were too big.  With hind sight, I would have fitted part 202 to the aft platform first, then fitted the platform to the turret.  Then finally fitting the front platform to the turret.  However, hind sight is a wonderful thing, but here's how I did do it.  First the aft platform was glued, after test fitting both the forward and aft platforms.  Make sure that the aft platform is fitted outside of the rectangular border that locates the range finder.

Then the front platform was fitted.

Now the little ladder.

These two supports didn't fit that well.  I think I got the platform too far forward as I had to trim about 0.5mm off these parts.

This little bracket was easy enough.

That completes the parts from 47.  Now I can start on the parts for 48.

Start by fitting the flanges to the range finder.  The first thing to remember is to sand the backs of the photo etched fret to give a rough surface to glue to.  These are glued on with super glue.  Make sure you get them all the right way round.  The inner parts are different to the outer parts, and the inner parts are handed.

I glued the end cap on to the range finder next.  I found the easy way to do this was to apply a drop of glue to the end of the range finder.  Place the etched part face down on the work surface, and then put the range finder down on it, making sure it's the right way round.  Pick the parts up, and you have a few seconds to get the end cap in exactly the right position.  Superglue gives you a little more time if you are generous with the glue.

Now you can glue the end of the range finder in place.  Repeat with the other side of the range finder.

Now we turn our attention to the turret.  Glue the two triangles in place.  I used Tamiya Extra Thin glue.

Now add the doors.  These are easier to get upright once the triangles are in place as the bottoms line up with the point of the triangle.

Glue the range finder in place.

Here is the completed turret.

Things not yet done

Take me back to week 47

Take me to week 49